Tuesday, August 4, 2009

RTR's Twitterverse

Over the weekend, I took notice when a Facebook friend announced he was starting a Twitter account. A lot of the response from his other FB friends was "Oh, No! Don't Do it! Twitter Sucks." I found the response ironic coming from people on -- of all things -- Facebook.

Even the person who personally turned me on to FB -- the redhead who shall remain nameless who co-chairs a local nonprofit org with me -- is now refusing to open a Twitter account and knocking this super-fast-growing social network. She even sent me a videoslam against Twitter through Facebook.

There has been a consistently growing backlash against Twitter, similar to the backlash against Facebook. There is a lot of weak criticism from the backlash crowd, many of whom have not tried it or don't "get it." When I first joined Twitter I complained loudly to Boy Thunder about it being totally useless. For one month I was like "I don't get it, I don't get it...wait, I get it." I got it when I figured out how to best use it for my own purposes, which are a combination of business, social, and activist purposes. I find it the fastest source for breaking news and an endless source of entertainment. I get some great recommendations for books and online articles from some great people from around the country, and around the world.

Below is a mosaic from the cool, smart, interesting people who follow me on Twitter. I learned about the mosaic function from one of my favorite bloggers/tweeters [iAllison] who mentioned in a tweet tonight.

I highly recommend Twitter. So follow me on Twitter here -- or don't.

-- Rico Thomas Rico



No comments:

This Week's Jukebox: Song Book II